NexGen Power Systems designs and manufactures gallium nitride (GaN) power transistors for the $4.8B high-voltage (1200 V) power transistor market. GaN makes transistors that are 10 times faster than silicon (Si) power devices enabling economically significant improvements in sophisticated power systems in their physical size, cost and efficiency. GaN offers a quantum leap over Si in power management performance and has significant cost, performance and reliability advantages. Applications for GaN transistors include server power supplies for Data Centers, Motor Drives, Electric Cars and Solar Inverters.
NexGen Power Systems is headquartered in Santa Clara, California. It builds the GaN power devices in a state-of-the-art fabrication facility located in Syracuse, New York.
Process Engineer Backend
- NexGen Power Systems is seeking a motivated engineer to develop backend wafer processes including wafer thinning, ohmic contacts and low kerf dicing.
- You will work closely with product engineering, assembly,and device,teams, and with outsource service providers, to develop and qualify manufacturing processes integral to achieving high performance power transistors.
- Development of novel ohmic contact metallurgies
- Design and implementation of wafer handling fixturing and tools for thin (100 um) GaN wafers
- Optimizaiton of high volume laser dicing processes
- Qualification f tools and materials for backgrinding and polishing of GaN wafers
- Qualification and project management of outsource service providers
- Documentation and traceability of critical manufacturing processes
- Work closely with Device and Wafer Fab Engineering to achieve
- Work with Assembly Engineering on package development
- Minimum BS in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or Physics. MS/PhD is desired.
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ years of semiconductor process experience preferably with wide bandgap semiconductors, e.g. GaN, SiC.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management abilities. Able to work to aggressive schedules.
- Proactive approach to problem identification and solving. Can participate in and drive teams to root cause identification and creative solutions.
- Strong competence in high voltage/high current equipment construction and operation
- Experience with structured problem solving methods (e.g. 8D, 5 why)
- Experience with Design of Experiments, statistics for manufacturing engineering,
- Programming experience, such as Matlab, Python, JSL, Labview, is a plus
- Team player
- Good oral and written communications skills