NexGen Power Systems designs and manufactures gallium nitride (GaN) power transistors for the $4.8B high-voltage (1200 V) power transistor market. GaN makes transistors that are 10 times faster than silicon (Si) power devices enabling economically significant improvements in sophisticated power systems in their physical size, cost and efficiency. GaN offers a quantum leap over Si in power management performance and has significant cost, performance and reliability advantages. Applications for GaN transistors include server power supplies for Data Centers, Motor Drives, Electric Cars and Solar Inverters.
NexGen Power Systems is headquartered in Santa Clara, California. It builds the GaN power devices in a state-of-the-art fabrication facility located in Syracuse, New York.
Principal Device Engineer
- The individual will be responsible for device design and optimization for GaN vertical power devices to meet market requirements.
- The individual must be self-motivated with ability to handle a fast-paced startup environment.
- Device structural design coordinated with integration engineering.
- Simulation of device electrical performance, as well as thermal modeling.
- Determination of process manufacturing tolerances based on simulations of typical structural variations.
- Design and layout of test chips to verify electrical performance.
- Test specifications for test structures.
- Analysis of electrical characterization data and comparison to targets.
- Incorporation of design for manufacturability and design for quality in the device design.
- Work (as needed) with personnel at NexGen’s Syracuse fab and external foundry partners.
- M.S./Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering.
- >7 years of experience in semiconductor device design, with a track record of successful release of devices to production.
- Background in power semiconductor devices highly desired.
- Prior experience with GaN is desired but not required.
- Familiarity with common TCAD device simulation tools is required, as well as experience with layout tools.
- Proficient in data analysis platform such as JMP.